Online therapy, also known as online counseling, e-therapy, and telemental health, has become increasingly popular over the last several years. As the mental health world strives to stay on top of technological trends, it was only a matter of time before therapy from the comfort of your own couch would be available.
Why try online therapy?
- Many people don’t want to travel or sit in rush hour traffic to see a therapist (I can’t blame you)
- People are busy and traveling takes time
- Maybe you’re a mom and only have a limited amount of time to fit in self-care. Have your session while your child is napping
- If you have a demanding job, take out the travel time and fit in therapy time
- Confidentiality and Privacy:
- Oftentimes the thought of discussing your pain with a therapist is overwhelming enough, but the thought that others might know you’re seeking help turns some people away from therapy
- As many people value privacy, thoughts of sitting in a waiting room can be daunting. Therapy from your own home may feel more comfortable to you
- Client Choice:
- Although, quite fortunately, there are great therapists in most cities in the U.S., e-therapy allows people to choose a therapist they feel is a great fit for them, despite location
- Maybe you follow the blog of a therapist who you really enjoy but she lives in a different city- online counseling gives you more choices as to who you hire to help you
- Sometimes, the very symptoms for which someone is seeking therapy, are what prevent them from leaving their home (i.e. phobias, anxiety, depression, OCD, trauma).
- Online counseling honors where you are in your recovery, allowing you to work with a therapist regardless of what stage of healing you are in. If your goal is to see a therapist in an office but you struggle with leaving the house, working with a therapist via online therapy can assist you with the help you need to eventually meet that goal.
How does online therapy differ from in-office therapy? What will it be like?
In my private practice, online therapy is almost exactly the same as therapy in the office. We can talk in the same way and do the same exercises we would do at my private practice location. You are still a very real client to me, it’s just that our therapeutic work is done with the assistance of the internet.
Do I need fancy, expensive software to do online therapy?
I wouldn’t call it fancy, and it is no extra cost to you. I will send you a link to download a safe, secure and HIPPA compliant online counseling platform that I use, that will allow us to easily have our sessions together. It’s pretty simple, which is why online therapy is a growing trend.
Ready to learn more?
Schedule a free 10-minute phone consultation with me today. We can talk about your needs and goals and decide if online counseling would be a good fit for you!