Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) provides
- Practical and useful skills that allow for increased self-awareness and self-esteem
- The ability to manage and survive crisis and accept reality as it is
- An improved capacity for handling and surviving intense and uncomfortable emotions
- The ability to communicate more assertively and create healthy boundaries
Is DBT right for me?
The theory behind DBT is that some people are prone to reacting in more intense ways to situations that arouse emotion, particularly those situations relating to romantic, family and friend relationships. Some people’s emotional levels heighten at a faster rate as compared to the average person’s. DBT skills teach you to see reality as it is, and therefore build a life that is less stressful and more peaceful. DBT skills provide you with effective means for coping with intense emotions so that you are left feeling less miserable, regretful, guilty, helpless, or hopeless in the aftermath of an emotional storm. DBT helps decrease the frequency and intensity of emotional storms overall.
Dialectical Behavior Therapy techniques help eliminate self-destructive and life-threatening behaviors such as suicidality, self-harm, eating disordered behavior and substance abuse. DBT is also extremely beneficial in decreasing anxiety and depression.
Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills:
In DBT there are four broad categories of skills
(2) Distress Tolerance
(3) Emotion Regulation
(4) Interpersonal Effectiveness
To find out if DBT is right for you, schedule your free 10-minute phone consultation today. I’d love to talk with you about your goals for living the life you want.